Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Classic Chocolate Cake


This is one of those recipes that I always fall back on when I am stuck for inspiration, but need something to serve for afternoon tea.  It's a classic that everyone loves and it's always a sure hit!  Today is one of those days and I am in such a blah mood, plus I just happen to have all of the ingredients at home so I don't have to run to the shops.  I am tired and have guests popping over this afternoon from out of town.  So I best get baking and snap out of my little blah mood before they get here.

Ingredients

  • 125g of butter, chopped and at room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cups of caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
  • 2 eggs 
  • 2 cups of self raising flour
  • 1/4 cups of good quality cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate soda
  • 300ml carton of thickened cream, whipped, plus extra to serve
  • 2 cups of pure icing sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder (again, good quality is essential in a good chocolate cake)
  • 60g of unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon of instant coffee, dissolved in 2 tablespoons of just boiled water

What to do 

Preheat the oven to a moderate 180 degrees.  Lightly grease 2 x 20cm round cake pans and line with baking paper.

In a bowl, using electric mixers, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift the flour, cocoa and soda together.  Fold lightly into the mixture with 1 cup of just boiled water.  Mix quickly to combine.

Spoon the mixture evenly between the two pans, smooth the tops and bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.  Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Trim one cake to make the top level.  Spread with the cream, then top with the second cake.

Icing:  Sift the icing sugar and cocoa together in a bowl.  Pour the butter and coffee into the dry ingredients.  Mix well until smooth.  Now completely smother the top of your cake in icing!

Today... I might even lick the bowl!

4 comments:

  1. YUM!
    I want that so bad! haha
    I love baking, I always bake cakes for my relatives birthdays etc, but in a moment of madness I gave up chocolate and cake for the new year!
    lovely blog though, I'm following now :)
    Sara xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara, thanks so much for the follow! Oh dear! I hope you survive the year without cake and chocolate!! I'll double my intake just for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow such a perfect looking chocolate cake, I'm pretty sure I'd be very happy with a spoon and a bowl of that icing. Yum!

    ReplyDelete