Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cherry Ripe Slice

Today I am taking some much needed me time.  No work.  No client demands, deadlines & all things advertising related.  You know how it goes... anyway back to me time and Cherry Ripe Slice.


It's a good thing that I consider being in the kitchen (and now blogging) as me time.  Because today I am baking one of my favourite slice recipes, Cherry Ripe Slice.  It is super easy to make and it's perfect for those times when you need to take a plate, or just want to share a piece of tasty goodness with someone... or no one other than yourself and a cup of coffee, which is just what I intend on doing today.

And in case you are wondering.  No, I won't eat the whole thing (as much as I'd like to).  I'm trying to be good so I'll just have a slice and then freeze the rest to take to a picnic next weekend... I'm sure they'll enjoy it much more than I'll enjoy working it off at the gym later!


Ingredients  

  • 1 cup of self-raising flour, sifted
  • 100g of dry sweet biscuits, crushed
  • 1/3 of a cup of caster sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of good quality cocoa
  • 100g of unsalted butter, melted
  • 395g can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/2 cups of desiccated coconut
  • 100g of glace cherries, chopped
  • 150g of dark chocolate
  • 30g of copha


What to do

Preheat the oven to a moderate 180 degrees.  Lightly grease and line a 20 x 30 cm slice pan with baking paper.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, biscuits, sugar and cocoa.  Stir in the melted butter and mix well.

Press the mixture firmly into the slice pan and bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden.

While your base is baking, combine the condensed milk, coconut and cherries in a medium size bowl and mix them together.  Take your baked base fresh from the oven, and spread the mixture over the top and bake for a further 10-15 minutes.   Then allow your slice to cool in the pan.

Tip:  Don't allow your base to cool before adding the cherry coconut mixture, otherwise it will be dry and crumbly.

Once your slice has cooled, combine the chocolate and copha in a small saucepan.  Stir constantly over a low heat until both ingredients have melted together to a smooth consistency.  Pour the chocolate over the slice, tilting the pan so that you evenly coat the surface.  Allow your delicious treat to set in the fridge before cutting it into squares.

Mmmm... I love me time!

No comments:

Post a Comment